Tuesday, October 20, 2009

NFL Week 6 Rewind

A new style of post this week as I will rewind back to last week's takes and show where I was right and more than likely where I was wrong...

Last week's quote: "I think the Bengals take care of a somewhat struggling Texans squad but look for a good day from Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson. 24-20 CIN" HALF RIGHT HALF WRONG. I thought the Bengals would win this game, which they didn't but I did say that Schaub and Johnson would have a big day and they did (Schaub threw for 392 and 4 TDs and Johnson had 135 yards receiving).

Last week's quote: "I think the temp (Aaron Rodgers) has a good game and the Packers offense finally begins to click." RIGHT. Rodgers played really well throwing for 358 yards and 2 TDs and they offense scored 26 and eased up late against the cowardly Lions.

Last week's quote: "The Vikings have been awesome so far this year and I think Adrian Peterson is due for a big one. Look for Joe Flacco to be chased all day by early Defensive P.O.Y. and perhaps MVP candidate Jared Allen." RIGHT. Peterson ran for 143 yards and Allen had 7 tackles (4 for a loss), 2 QB knockdowns and a sack.

Last week's quote: "Someone will lose their first game of the season Sunday. It will be tough for Drew Brees and Co. against a stingy G-Men D. However, the Saints D isn't too shabby in their own right. I think that the Superdome crowd fuels the Saints early, but in the end the Giants are just too solid. Brees has an okay day but Ahmad Bradshaw blows up for New York. The Giants stay undefeated and the Saints don't. 31-27 NYG" UTTERLY DEAD WRONG!!! The only two calls in this game I was right on are the following: 1. That one team will lose their first game of the season (duh!) 2. The Superdome crowd will fuel the Saints early. (I forgot to mention that they will continue to fuel them the rest of the game). It was not tough for Drew Brees and Co. against the Giants D (Brees had 369 yards passing and 4 TDs and the "Co." I spoke of had 7 different players score a TD). Brees had far better than an okay day and Bradshaw had 10 carries for 48 yards but a TD. So to sum it up... I'm dumb. :(

Last week's quote: "The Steelers proved last week that they are still a good team and I see another rough day for Derek Anderson. Big Ben should have a big game. Omar Epps leads another Steeler victory. 38-13 PIT" RIGHT. The Steelers played well and Derek Anderson did have another rough day by going 9/24 for 122 yards and a QB rating of 51.0. Big Ben did have a big game throwing for 417 yards and 2 TDs and the Steelers won 27-14, and Mike Tomlin still looks like Omar Epps.

Last week's quote: "I keep waiting for this team to get back to running the ball effectively like they did all of last season. I think the perfect medicine for a struggling team is Tampa Bay and Carolina rights the ship this week." RIGHT. They did get that running game back on track by rushing for a total of 267 yards and 3 TDs. They did indeed right the ship against the struggling Buccaneers Sunday.

Last week's quote: "I think Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin have a good day but so does Matt Don't-Hassle-the-beck and Nate Burleson. Seattle wins at home." SOME RIGHT MOSTLY WRONG. Larry Fitzgerald had a big day (career high 13 catches for over 100 yards and a TD) and Boldin played okay before leaving with an injury. I was way wrong by saying Hasslebeck and Burleson would play well (Hasslebeck was 10/29 for 112 yards and a pick, good for a QB rating of 32.5 and Burleson had 2 catches for 40 yards). Most importantly I was wrong in predicting the Seahawks to win.

Last week's quote: "Oh boy, this could get ugly. The Raiders are "real tough" at home in front of the psychopaths who wear shoulder pads and spikes through their Rich Gannon jerseys. Donovan McNabb should have a huge day as long as he stays away from Oakland's only real good player on defense, corner Nnamdi Asomugha. The JaMarcus Russell Experiment is looking like the Jamie Kennedy Experiment... and we all know how well that went. The Eagles soar again . 37-13 PHI" UNBELIEVABLY WRONG--COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG. This did not get ugly unless you're an Eagles fan. McNabb did not have a huge day (0 TDs and a QB rating of 66.3). JaMarcus played well enough to get the win and I look like an idiot once again on this one.

Last week's quote: "I think Brady and Co. are too angry after last weeks loss at Denver to lose this one at home. Moss gets a TD or 2 and so does Welker. 34-20 NE" RIGHT. Moss did get a TD or 2... actually 3, and Welker caught a pair himself. I was wrong in not predicting 5... yes 5, 2nd quarter TD passes for Tom Brady and 59 points by the Pats offense... My bad.

Last week's quote: "Rookie Mark Sanchez plays well at home. 27-13 NYJ" WRONG AND WRONG. Rookie Mark "Sanchise" Sanchez did not play well at home. He actually played like crap (10/29 for 119 yards and 5 INTs with a QB rating less than his number... which is 6 by the way). The Jets did not win. I was wrong.

Last week's quote: "I look for Philip Rivers to take the Bolts on his back (especially because they can't run the ball at all) and win this one at home...I think the CHARGER D settles down a little and plays a bit better. It will be a battle but I think SAN DIEGO makes the AFC West race much more interesting. 28-24 SD" WRONG. Philip Rivers didn't take the Bolts on his back, he was just on his back. The O-Line was once again awful and I might point out that I did say that they can't run the ball at all... so I at least had something on point. The CHARGER D settled down enough to give up first downs on 9 of 16 attempts... which is awful. The special teams settled down to watch Eddie Royal zip past them not once but twice on kick return TDs. It was a battle only really in the ridiculous pregame jawing and perhaps in the first half. The AFC West race will be more interesting because it will be exciting to see who finishes in 2nd place if the CHARGERS don't shape up soon.


Best Uni of the Week: AFL Throwback Edition. This one is obvious. The SAN DIEGO CHARGERS Powder Blues are the best in all of football, even though the team isn't.



Overall I was predicted half of the game's correctly which is not very good. 7/14 is not my best effort. Hopefully in Week 7, me and the CHARGERS can pick up our game.

---J

No comments:

Post a Comment